Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey Power

I wish I was good at coming up with clever titles...

I am worried that I have officially become the "nagging girlfriend". And all because of one very important topic: Thanksgiving turkey.
I inadvertently asked the boy to make the turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. I was apprehensive, but he was immediately excited and started plotting the perfect plan. Seeing his enthusiasm made me feel bad for doubting him, but I couldn't help it. Giving up control of something as important as the turkey is tough. I mean, that's the center of the whole dinner! And my family is picky. The bird has been simply slathered in butter and oven roasted for as long as I can remember. We don't even put salt and pepper let alone sage, thyme, etc. And this boy--the same one who doctors up EVERYTHING he makes with Checker's Creole Seasoning-- is going to be in charge of the most important part of the meal.
Suddenly, horrible thoughts of frozen turkey, dried out turkey, even cajun turkey flooded my brain. What would he do to it? (Nothing, it will be perfectly fine.) Would it come out ok? (Of course! It will be juicy and delicious.) Does he realize the significance of this task? (Of course he does.) It doesn't help that he won't tell me anything about what he has planned for it. He finds it humorous that I'm so nervous about it and gets some kind of sick joy out of torturing me. His recent favorite thing to say is that he's going to put candles all over it and make it a turkey birthday Thanksgiving cake... Do you now understand my anxiety?? :)
I have been incapable of restraining from asking/reminding/questioning/pondering/nagging him about the turkey. I know it has to be frustrating and I wish I could simply relinquish the control. But I am so nervous! Surely this is all unnecessary. I'm positive it's going to be perfectly wonderful.

Right??

1 comment:

Raelynn said...

learn to "let go" Jenn. it's all going to be fabulous!! more than fabulous, it's the boy. and remember he loves to cook.

its okay to start new traditions. ;)