Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fact: Birthdays (and most holidays in general) mean a lot to me. I don't know why and I can't help it or change this fact about myself. Trust me, I've tried. I don't know why I care so much or feel the need to make grandiose plans and celebrations out of every one. I think it's something that makes up part of who I am, not just a learned habit or carried-on tradition. It's in me to care and acknowledge people and special events. I think, 100% believe, that birthdays are not 'just another day' and that everyone -no matter their age- deserves to feel special and loved on their day.
I understand that some people do not enjoy the attention and acknowledgement of them turning another year older, and I respect that. I'm not going to force someone to celebrate.
What I don't understand (and probably never will) is why people (even if they hate their own birthday) wouldn't go out of their way to acknowledge someone else's (especially if that someone LOVES birthdays).

As I've gotten older, I've realized that you can't expect to just come home to a birthday party with all your friends, favorite food, movies and games. You can't expect someone to make reservations at your favorite restaurant or whisk you away on a birthday trip. You can't force someone to plan your birthday celebration for you, and if you do manage to guilt them into it...you will only feel bad and worse for it anyway.
I think it's sad that we can't expect those things. I'm sure sometimes, to some people, those things do happen. But I think most of the time, it only happens in the movies.

To me, the loss of receiving an extravagant birthday celebration is one of the hardest parts about growing up. It's just not the same if you have to do it yourself.

It's better than staying at home alone, but it's not the same. :)


This is not an attempt to get anyone to plan a birthday party for me. Just trying to explain and make sense of my thoughts. Promise. Gifts, however, are always welcome. :)

No comments: