Monday, November 7, 2011

Feelin Crafty

As I was browsing Pinterest last night, I came across this link for 101 Handmade Christmas Ornaments. There were a lot of cute ideas, but #45 caught my eye right away. Anything involving felt and birdies is  right up my alley! 


After reading the tutorial at A Feathered Nest, I was surprised to find that it didn't seem too difficult. I pinned the link, thinking I may come back at some point totally intending to come back and make some of the ornaments. ;)

I don't know what got into me, considering it was after 11 pm. I think it was a combination of boredom, frustration with the Pinterest app and inspiration from all the pretty Christmas-y pins and tutorials. But anyway, I got the idea in my head that even though I can't sew, I could totally make one of those little birdies!


I gathered up my supplies from random drawers and boxes around my house. I found some soft, pink cotton fabric, red and white felt, and a few random spools of thread in red, pink and green.





Now, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that this took me about 2 hours to complete... I think most of that time was spent threading needles and trying to tie knots! If you can sew, it definitely wouldn't take you that long!


I deviated quite a bit from the tutorial, based on what supplies I had on hand. I didn't have a fancy vanishing fabric marker, so I just used a pen to draw a wing shape on the white felt and then freehanded the stitching. I did use her stitch guide to get some ideas and help for the wing embellishments, but mostly I just did whatever I thought might look cute. Then I made sure to cut inside the pen line so that you wouldn't see the tracing.
For the body, I found a picture I liked online and then just traced it onto a piece of computer paper. Then I layered the stencil onto two pieces of the pink fabric and cut it all out. So easy, and no pen marks needed! Oh, and I didn't use an embroidery loop, because 1- I didn't have one, and 2- I honestly don't know what she used it for! :) 


After all the parts were cut out, I used felt glue to attach the wing to the top piece, cut out a little beak from the red felt and glued it in between the two pieces and then just started stitching both pieces together. I had no idea what I was doing, really, so the stitches are all randomly spaced and uneven. But we'll just call that, along with all the frayed edges, "shabby chic". :)
I forgot about the eye until I was almost at the end! Oops. I tried to read several stitching tutorials, but I could not figure out the "french knot" for the life of me! Instead of getting frustrated, I just used black thread to make a little X and called it good.


stuffed it with some tissue and that was it! I was pretty happy with how it turned out, although it isn't as Christmas-y as I hoped. I like it even more this morning. She's so cute! 


Pretty good for someone who can't sew, huh?





No comments: