Wednesday, February 18, 2009

That Little Voice

I'm willing to bet that at one point in your life, you've thought "How do I know I'm hearing from God?"
I strongly believe that everyone hears from Him in a different way. Some people might hear an audible voice, others might hear His voice in nature, art, music, food, anything.
I know that I personally hear Him in many of those ways. However, I would say the most frequent mode of communication is a feeling. It's hard to explain, but it's like a nagging feeling in your heart and the pit of your stomach. It's also a feeling of contentment and just knowing that a decision is right.

Yesterday I was absentmindedly browsing craigslist jobs. I came across one titled "Concierge" in the "healthcare" category. I never look in the healthcare category, mostly I just stick to the Administrative/Office type things. I'm not sure how this particular posting came up, but I clicked on it regardless. (Honestly, it was probably just because I like saying the word 'concierge'.) Basically it's a font-desk/hostess position for an assisted living center for the elderly. After reading it I thought, "I could totally do this job!" I googled the facility and found out it is brand new and literally across the street from my apartment. Browsing the website, I discovered that it seemed like a very luxurious and welcoming place. Their craigslist posting was friendly, yet professional, and I emailed it to myself--just 'cuz.
The rest of the day and night, the idea of this job was constantly in my head. I woke up and it was the first thing I thought of. I decided then that I probably needed to respond to the ad. The more I thought about it, the more excited I became.
Working in a daycare was the most enjoyable job I have ever had. I love taking care of people's loved ones and growing attached to the kids. But another part of me craves a professional environment- working on a computer and being in an office. It dawned on me that this job would be the best of both professions! I could interact with the residents, be involved with caregiving (even if it is indirectly) but I would also be in an office environment performing administrative support duties.
And most importantly, I would be involved in something that mattered. I am so tired of working for the sake of paying the bills. I long to do something that I enjoy and something that means more in the bigger picture, ya know?
Long story short, I wrote a kick-ass cover letter, tweaked my resume a tad and sent it off. About 20 minutes ago.

Am I getting my hopes up? Possibly.

But I just can't ignore the 'little voice' that wouldn't let me pass this opportunity by.

No comments: